Sustainable energy supply: About 100 kilometers north of Dushanbe, the capital of Tajikistan, a dam is being built on the river Vakhsh. The Militzer & Münch Group handles the door-to-door transport of the components for two gas-insulated switchgears for the hydropower station, which is part of the dam.
Once finished, the Rogun dam will be the world’s tallest river dam, measuring 335 meters in height. The Rogun hydroelectric station is to supply several regions of Central Asia with electricity. Six 600-megawatt turbines will produce about 13.3 billion kilowatt hours of electricity per year. In the switchgears, the electric energy is distributed or transformed, which prevents overload and shorts.
In the course of this year, Militzer & Münch transports numerous parts for two switchgears by truck to the Rogun dam construction site. The project is handled by the Militzer & Münch team in Nuremberg. Components for the switchgear systems come from Germany, Turkey and Poland.
The total weight of the parts amounts to 1,800 tons. On the long transport routes, the 180 to 200 trucks – 30 of them with an over height of 3.4 meters – cross several narrow mountain passes. At many passages, there’s the danger of falling rocks or avalanches. Therefore, the packaging of the goods must be heavy-duty and secure for transport, so that the cargo arrives at the destination undamaged.
In order to meet the timelines of the construction schedule, the Militzer & Münch team coordinates 20 to 25 truck transports per week. The customs clearance is done by the consignee.
Electricity from water power
- In 1867, the Frenchman Benoît Fourneyron developed the first practicable water turbine.
- In 1866, Werner von Siemens invented the electro-dynamic generator that was able to convert movement into electric energy.
- The first hydropower plant to generate electricity was built in England in 1880.
- In 1895, the world’s first large hydropower station was taken into operation at the Niagara Falls.
- In Europe, the first water-powered stations were built in Rheinfelden on the Rhine in 1898.
No comment yet, add your voice below!